Saturday, April 18, 2009

From Finals, With Love (yes, the James Bond movie they should have made, but never did!)

An intellectual heavyweight just informed me that, "You come across as so confident and polished. I always look forward to reading your writing because it is so precise." Essentially. And I am bursting at the seams--to the extent that I am tooting my own horn. Say hello to a confident, polished, precise woman.

However, this woman is also bursting at the seams for another reason entirely. Finals clamor, bla bla bla, always tugging in the background--and it's becoming increasingly difficult to ignore them. Wail, moan, I don't want to. But I have two (ONLY TWO, I KNOW) I'll take Monday or Tuesday.

In the foreground, however, clamors something not so material but immediately more appealing. A friend tells me that this book--while appropriately incognito in the form of a mystery--tackles the question of whether a woman can have both a family and a satisfying intellectual or professional life. And not just have both--but do justice to both. Must. Be. Read. It was written in the thirties or so by Dorothy Sayers, a member of not just Oxbridge society, but the Tolkien-Lewis Oxbridge society.

As compelling as the book is, finals must be first priority. (...?)

A parting word on
Oh nevermind,
no parting word but goodbye!
Finals send their love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have you read the book yet...I am very interested.