Sunday, May 31, 2009

Conundrum

I want to be better, but don't know how... :/

I recall reading this book in the dentist's office one day, a fable about 2 princesses. One was ugly but kind, clever, and an excellent and witty conversationalist, the other was the most beautiful woman people had ever seen, but was empty-headed and vain. One day, the beautiful princess was traveling somewhere (something to do with her many suitors, no doubt... though the specifics have long been erased by the waves of new memories) when she came across this very ugly man. He was some sort of enchanter, and somehow set up a deal where he would marry her in a year's time, and would help her have more personality. I don't know. Anyway, she became more interesting to talk to, and more kind, while her sister became embittered--and more ugly because of it. The man, when he returned in a year, was actually very handsome, and they lived, obviously, happily ever after.

I've been thinking about this story recently, and wishing I could come across an enchanter who would make me better at certain things... and it's tough to finally face the realization that that will never happen, and I will have to work very hard for every improvement I want to make. It's discouraging and empowering.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is a sobering realization to see oneself as one truly is...yes we all have parts that are inadequate...but focus on the true self that loves, that gives, that true spirit of talents and gifts you have..they are so much more then the crumbs, the crumbs are not you, but the yummy cake is...focus on what you have, not the lack. It is the true way of happiness...I will try to remember to do this too...MOM

docdane said...

I wonder if you are still blogging..or too busy...so very interesting to read...