Monday, October 27, 2008

Lots of mumbo-jumbo

When I attended an academic program for highschoolers at Oxford University in the summer of 2005, my instructor was a Rhodes Scholar studying Turkish (and, incidentally, teaching creative non-fiction). Fresh from the bazaars of Istanbul, she brought in samples of travel writing all about her (Anatolian) adventures. My interest in Turkey then was simply a fascination with the exotic--my interest has matured, however, after interacting with Turkish people, learning about the role of the Turk in Europe, and taking Turkish language classes. One of my favorite authors is (Orhan Pamuk). I have come to understand the importance of Turkey and its age-old role as a crossroads--it is

Bla bla bla bla bla...

Ich bin wirklich langweilig, nicht? Ich muss etwas schreiben... weniger als 300 Woerter denke ich... aber ich bin nicht sicher.

Und jetzt auf Englisch.

Thinking, thinking. So much to do. Ich bin nur achtzehn. Es gibt so viel, das ich machen kann! I am applying for 2 scholarships to study in Germany--one for the summer and one for 10 months (!). I am also applying for a scholarship to study in Turkey. That would be awesome. And then I am applying to BYU's Cambridge Summer program. SO! Lots of applying (more than I am used to anyway... I only applied to one college... I only applied last year to one summer program... I have never applied for any scholarships, beyond BYU's basic... conclusion: my application life is a young one). PLUS! I am applying for a job as the editor of a student journal (Studia Antiqua), a position which I will accept should I be offered it. And in that case, no Germany for 10 months for me. So we will see. Basically, I am keeping my options open. I am kind of loathing this indecision and dependence right now. But oh well! I am sure I'll think back on this time with derision and laughter (maybe derisive laughter...?) when the time for graduate school applying comes around...

I need to get started on my honors thesis soon. The trouble is, I don't know what it is exactly that I'd like to write about. I would like to do something involving German, which would make a project proposal (part of my scholarship application) 500 million times more credible. How can I utilize german and hebrew? So many options.... religion... WWII. That could be interesting. But then I would also like to study the Hittites, perhaps. But I am not sure. Not sure, not sure.

Persisting questions: can I apply the term Anatolia to modern Turkey? should I apologize for such a lamezoid post? Maybe.

Sorry for such a lamesauce post--I get into these frenetic moods sometimes where I must write out every possible option that I am interested in building my future upon. And then talk about it. Sorry friends. But, as some of you know, this is only the tip of the iceberg. Or rather, it's the condensation of an iceberg into a small piece of ice. Not simply calved. Or maybe. I can't decide. But, that's probably apparent.

No comments: